Earlier this year I got the amazing opportunity to travel to Caye Caulker with Contiki so I’m gonna share with you a couple things about the place if you’re looking to visit this little island. Which I highly recommend you do before it becomes too crowded by tourists!
How to get there:
It’s just a short 45 minute boat ride from the main city of Belize. Once you pull up to the wharf you’re met with an endless supply of palm trees in a row, a haven of colour and the bluest and warmest waters you can find.
How to get around:
To get to your hotel or villa from the wharf you’ll find a golf cart taxi to take you to where you need to go – won’t be long at all because you drive from one end of the island to the other in about 20 minutes, you just don’t want to drag your luggage through the sand. After this I recommend hiring push bikes for your stay or golf carts if you’re not into the peddling. Getting around is so easy because there’s really only one main road but if you’re not inclined to driving or cycling it’s easy enough to get around on foot.
What to do:
– Get a small boat to take you out snorkelling (or diving) to swim in the second biggest coral reef in the world! Second only to The Great Barrier Reef in Queensland. If you can go out to ‘shark alley’ you’ll find yourself in a sea on rays and toothless sharks!! it was the most surreal and amazing moment of my whole life. A bucket list moment!
– Go on foot at night restaurant and bar hopping between all of their delicious places to eat and drink. Everywhere is so friendly and accommodating.
– Jump on a sunset yacht ride
– Buy some souvenirs and support the locals
– Explore the colourful houses and swim at the beach
Thank you to Contiki for this amazing experience! I would have never known such a place exists! Make sure you check out the video at the bottom of the post.