Last weekend I got the pleasure of jumping on board the Corroboree, a super yacht on Sydney’s Harbour to celebrate Toyota’s Feeling The Street Campaign. This campaign involves thousands of entrants all over the world who are performing on street corners and alleyways with a huge passion for music. I got the pleasure of meeting the winners of the competition and their joy for performing and making music was infectious.
What I love most is that the musicians were so global, they have come from India, Brazil, Italy, Chile and Colombia to create this band which worked so well together. Check out the youtube video and keep an eye out for the music video that was also filmed on the yacht! (Maybe you’ll be able to spot me!)
My blog is ‘Fashion and Sounds’ for a reason, I’ve always loved discovering new, young musical talent and with so many cultures included in this band I’m so honoured to be a part of the first steps of their journey and good luck to the team and thank you to Toyota for allowing me to be a part of this.
If you’re not huge on the beach because as soon as your toes hit the sand and your kaftan has to come off you suddenly think 1000 pairs of eyes are on you, you suddenly feel a pang of insecurities, you think everyone is laughing at your flaws but the truth is they’re most likely not & probably just as concerned about theirs too.
I’m gonna give you practical tips on how to feel body confident at the beach!
1. Fake tan – Yes, all of these are going to sound superficial, but this is a superficial issue we all have in our heads. It’s proven that darker colours, eg when you wear black makes you look slimmer than when you wear white. So a nice, natural looking tan will make you instantly slimmer.
2. Find a bikini that suits your body type – Sometimes halter bikinis aren’t the most flattering when it comes to girls with wide shoulders, just the same as hipster bikini pants aren’t the best for girls with wide hips. It’s a matter of going into stores and trying on bikinis that flatter your shape & accentuate the good parts. And if you’re buying online make sure there’s a good return policy!
3. Work out – This one’s simple, how can you expect to have a Victoria’s secret model bod if you’re not going to put in the hours of training? I know exercising isn’t for everybody but it’s about finding the work out that you enjoy and can do regularly without hating it the whole time.
4. Get a sunscreen that won’t make you white -Invest in a sunscreen that not only is high SPF but actually absorbs into your skin and doesn’t turn you pastey white. I’ve tried out a lot and the Dermalogical Sunscreen is AMAZING as well as the Cancer Council Sunscreen.
5. Make healthy lifestyle choices – I never ‘diet’ and I never will. I’m a foodie and I enjoy all the food I eat, I add the sauce I want to make a meal tasty and eat all the pork cracking I want. But more often than not I am passing up on the fried chicken and opting for boiled or bbq. I only have my roast pork cracking if it’s on a bed of salad, I avoid pastries and replace it with dark chocolate or fruit. I LOVE potato chips and if I crave it to be honest I’ll get a packet, but I don’t have the whole thing in one sitting. It’s about portion control. So don’t stop yourself eating what you want to because it’ll drive you crazy & into a binge but instead eat what you like in moderation and swap of foods that will satisfy your high sugar cravings.
6. Don’t eat a huge meal the night before you go to the beach – I never have and never will skip a meal but I will often ask my friends “Can we eat healthy tonight?”. And if you have supportive friends they’ll agree and would probably be open to eating healthy themselves.
7. Own it – Being confident is 90% phycological (Ok I made up that statistic) but really, you just need to think positive about yourself. Smile, have good posture and wear big ass sunglasses so you can see everyone that’s staring at you – because chances are they’re looking because you’re a FOX!